Meet our president: Charlotte W. Ikerd
Charlotte Ikerd is inspired to creatively and efficiently manage online, multimedia, print and event projects. Through her leadership, boundless energy and unique set of skills, she expertly defines creative and technical solutions that not only fit the proposed budget, but are appropriate for each client's expectations.
In addition, she is a masterful event manager, planner and organizer, effectively managing staff, vendors, subcontractors, guest services, decor engineering, craft fabrication, floral design, invitation/ticket design, production and mailing, online invitations, ticket sales and RSVP management.
Charlotte's extensive skill-set includes these technical and creative processes:
- Planning and development of Web site navigation and interfaces
- Production and content-management of Web sites and other Social Media
- Graphic layout
- Graphic design
- Copywriting and editing
- Photography and image editing
- Drawing and illustration
- DVD-Multimedia production
- Pre-press production
- Internet-related administrative services and consulting, including search engine optimization techniques
- Computer troubleshooting and installation
Past awards and recognition.
Charlotte was named 2006 Independent Professional of the Year by Commerce Lexington in Lexington, Kentucky, for her work with WideEyed.com (a/k/a Charlotte Caldwell).
Charlotte earned several creative awards, including:
- Gold ADDY® Award for Web Site/Interactive Media (ArtbyMadelaine.com, 2003)*
- Gold ADDY® Award for Campaign (University of Kentucky Children’s Hospital, 1999)*
- Silver ADDY® Award for Web Site/Interactive Media (RaeHouse.com, 2009)*
- Silver ADDY® Award for Logo Design (WideEyed.com, 2005)
- Silver ADDY® Award for Web Site/Public Service Campaign (Perryville Enhancement Project, 2002)*
*Production work completed for graphic designers and advertising agencies
Charlotte Widener Ikerd was born in Bainbridge, GA, and grew up in Richmond, KY. Her father was a professor at Eastern Kentucky University and her mother worked as a nurse manager at Pattie A. Clay Hospital. Charlotte attended Model Laboratory School, where her extra-curricular activities were 4-H, marching band and swim team. She spent her summers playing softball and lifeguarding, and vacationing with her family in Bainbridge.
After high school, Charlotte worked in EKU's Administrative Computing department and completed 115 hours at EKU towards a B.S. degree in Industrial Technology (Electronics & Graphic Arts Major). She later completed a B.A. degree in Broadcasting & Electronic Media at EKU. After college, Charlotte lived and worked in Lexington, Kentucky for several years where she completed some graduate work towards a MBA/MSMIT (Managing Information Technology) degree at Sullivan University.
Charlotte moved to Somerset, Kentucky, in 2010 and married Frank H. Ikerd III, a coal mine operator. The Ikerd household includes Charlotte's teenage son, Lincoln Caldwell, and a lively pair of Australian Shepherds, named Willie and Merle.
Charlotte has provided assistance, guidance and leadership to several organizations, working with board and committee members to develop systems and procedures, encourage and retain member involvement, revise the ongoing strategic plan, manage programs and events, develop marketing and communications materials, define sponsorship levels, create revenue, evaluate results, and otherwise meet the organization’s goals and objectives.
From 1993-2009 Charlotte served in various capacities on the board of directors of the Lexington Advertising Club (LAC), a local chapter of the American Advertising Federation (AAF). As LAC President, Charlotte oversaw club management, presided over monthly board meetings, and hosted membership events and monthly program luncheons. Her board positions at LAC included:
- Chairman of the Board (2008-2009)
- President (2007-2008)
- President-Elect (2006-2007)
- Director of Communications
- Director of Government Relations
- Director of Programs
- ADDY® Awards coordinator
Charlotte’s involvement with business organizations also included:
- Independent/Small Business Owners (ISBO) (1998-2010). As co-founder of this Lexington, KY based member networking organization and online resource, Charlotte’s duties included program and strategic planning, advertising and marketing, Web site development and maintenance, and Internet marketing. This group met monthly for a business-skills presentation and luncheon.
- AAF Fifth District and Advertising Club Cincinnati (2006-2010). Charlotte attended national and district conferences, monthly membership programs, and provided technical consulting services to board members and club management.
- Professional Women’s Forum (2003-2010). Charlotte attended monthly meetings of this women’s business networking and professional development organization.
- Better Business Bureau of Central Kentucky. Charlotte served on the board of directors in 2007-2008.
- NAWBO Lexington (a local chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners’). Charlotte served on the board of directors in 2007-2008.
- Commerce Lexington (2004-2007). Charlotte was a member of Commerce Lexington’s Winner’s Circle annual fundraising group for four years. She attended events and served on the Independent Professionals’ Network Committee where she was committee chair in 2007. This group developed a round-table discussion forum for members’ business development and planned and hosted an annual entrepreneur reception.
Charlotte's expansive work history includes:
- The Coal Reserve Events & Catering (May 2011-present). Charlotte managed The Coal Reserve's facility operations, and handled sales, marketing and administrative duties for this wedding venue and banquet service company. She worked with clients to plan weddings and events, and oversaw every event detail, including design, decor, florals, rentals, crafts, catering, bartending, event staff and tuxedo and limousine rentals. She personally managed more than 170 events, including corporate receptions, private parties, fundraisers, dinners and about 100 weddings/receptions.
- Founder/Owner of
Wide Eyed Electronic Media, LLC (April 1998 – December 2009).
Charlotte was the owner/operator of this award-winning home-based web design, hosting and internet marketing business. (She was named 2006 Independent Professional of the Year by Commerce Lexington). She built this business from scratch and grew to about 350 web hosting clients. Duties included client services, project planning, ideation and creative development, development of site architecture and interface design, management of technical production, consulting relating to electronic media/Internet marketing and search engine optimization; oversaw operations, account management, sales and marketing; provided project management services for Web site design and development, Internet marketing, multimedia and web hosting projects. Clients included businesses and advertising agencies. Selected and managed subcontractors; developed proposals and pitched creative and strategic concepts; she also provided technical production services, as needed.
- NCAA Basketball Tournament Site Supervisor for Hammond Communications Group, Lexington, KY. Charlotte served as press conference site supervisor at first and second rounds of the Women’s NCAA basketball tournaments for four years. She supervised the tech crew’s setup and operation of broadcast equipment to ensure broadcasts were produced as required by NCAA. She oversaw press conference and media room setup and consulted with and directed facility management, satellite crew and ESPN technical contacts to meet specifications. Charlotte served as liaison between the tech crew and facility management, satellite crew, ESPN technical contacts, media professionals, coaching staff, athletes and NCAA staff.
- Internet Marketing Director/Advertising & Creative Director for Don Jacobs BMW Honda VW in Lexington, KY. Charlotte streamlined internet marketing and Web site tools, procedures and techniques for this well-established automobile dealership and reduced marketing expenses by more than $50,000 annually. She assumed the duties of the Advertising and Marketing Director position after eight months, working with dealership executive management to determine and evaluate the advertising budget. She assisted the advertising agency and media buyers with monthly advertising buys and creative production, submitted pre-approval and claims to manufacturers for co-op fund reimbursement and reconciled monthly billing relating to marketing, Internet marketing and advertising. Charlotte also provided Network and computer technical services to the dealership for several months when their IT director was deployed to Iraq for military duty.
- Network Administrator/Production Artist at Williams McBride Group, Lexington, KY. Charlotte provided pre-press production services and strategy/design ideation for this graphic design firm. She developed record-keeping and asset management systems/databases to facilitate file management. She was responsible for hardware and software selection, purchasing, installation, support, troubleshooting and repair for the office’s Mac computer network. She worked directly with Internet and technical service providers to configure, install and maintain phone and Internet connectivity and firewalls.
- Electronic Production Planner/Operator for Magna Graphic, Inc. in Lexington, KY. Charlotte provided high-volume prepress production for textbook publishing companies McGraw-Hill, Houghton Mifflin, and others using Mac OS and Quark Xpress, Illustrator, Photoshop and other programs. Tasks included photographic retouching, color correction, creation of clipping paths, trapping, typesetting, type edits, imposition, color proofing and film output. She assisted the pre-flight team with file management procedure development and assisted the drum scanner operators in preparation of slides for scanning.
- Typesetter/Designer for Precision Arts, Inc., Lexington, KY. Charlotte published documents using Compugraphic typesetting equipment and created graphic layouts using traditional graphic design techniques. Her duties included proofreading, mockup preparation, computer maintenance and interface of desktop publishing with typesetting equipment. She also assisted management with billing reconciliation.
- Office Manager for ColorTyme, Inc., franchise headquarters in Lexington, KY. Charlotte’s duties included review of weekly sales reports and financial documents from 15 franchise locations. She also assisted the controller in balancing accounts and reviewing documents for accuracy, organized meetings and events, and made travel plans for company executives.
- Advertising Manager for Fister and Associates Realty, Lexington, KY. Charlotte managed daily and weekly advertising of real estate properties and worked with realtors to develop content for display advertising and marketing materials, collected and organized photography, and created graphic layout for print display ads and TV spots. She created a database of property ads to automatically generate reports for ordering weekly newspaper advertisements.
- Office Administrator/Legal Secretary at Challenge Engineering Consultants, Inc. and Stephens, Thomas & Hunt Law Offices, Lexington, KY. Charlotte supervised, interviewed and hired the administrative staff at this company that provided field and legal services to coal mining companies. Her duties also included desktop publishing of coal mining reclamation permits, legal briefs and other documents for engineers, lawyers, paralegals and geologists, review of all completed documents for accuracy and reconciliation of accounts payable and receivables. She also handled computer installation, maintenance and software updates.
- Miscellaneous Other Positions in Richmond and Lexington, KY, include: data entry operator at EKU Administrative Computing, typesetter at Carolyn's Typesetting, print shop manager at Clark Regional Hospital, typesetter at The Guide Group, various administrative and legal secretary positions through Personnel Pool and CM Temporary Services (including Stoll, Keenon and Park; Peter Perlman, PSC and a six-month assignment at IBM).